Wednesday, December 16, 2020

“Respect is Free.” Rest in Power Russell Lincoln Smith


 


Russell was a good man. He had a big smile to go along with his tremendous heart. One of his favorite sayings was “Respect is Free.”

For a long time that struck me as wrong. Somehow, I got the idea that respect had to be earned and to earn it certain expectations must be met. Many years have passed and much learning taken place for me to arrive at what Russell was talking about. We shared many tours together. Many hours of discussing the ills of the world. He took tremendous pride in his family and his native country of Belize. Yet for all the time we spent together, I never got to know much about him. I don’t recall many discussions about his life growing up, or how he came to be a New York City Building inspector. 

 


What I do know about him makes a world of difference to me. He and I shared much in common when it came to the importance of justice. In justice, there is respect for human life. Regardless of where you come from or who your parents are, all human beings are due respect and dignity for the sanctity of their very existence. This is the lesson I learned from a man who challenged my perception of the world with three little words. “Respect is free.”

People who value human life did not write the rules of earned respect. These rules evolved to maintain order. A particular type of order structured to keep human beings in a constant state of war. The people who believe in these rules, written or unwritten, have a vested interest in keeping them in place. It seems there is an impression that to lose or change these rules, something will be lost. My wife likes to point out that equal human rights are not like slices of pie. More for others does not mean less for you.

 

God Bless You Russell. You are part of the unforgettable fire. You will be missed.

 

 

 

No comments: