Friday, September 11, 2020

If You Speak of Love, There Will Be Love

 


 

“On September 11th 2001 I witnessed the barbaric carnage and destruction of downtown Manhattan. The magnitude of this experience has forever altered my life and given me an urgency to produce as much healing as I can.”  

 

I came across this piece of writing on my old website MDRansom.com. A sleepless night brought on by worries for the world prompted me to visit and read what I wrote nearly 20 years ago. It has renewed my faith and restored my truth. Recently I was relieved of a commitment to appear in a film by a childhood friend because I support the Black Lives Matter movement.

 

Rather than be angry or feel a sense of failure, I realize this is the Universe telling me I am not supposed to be portraying characters who value violence over peace. I trust that I am doing what’s right. I wish my friend well and much success with his project. He has confirmed for me that my support of Black Lives Matter is just and true. That we all need to take a hard look at the reality of our situation.

 

Not unlike many, I struggle with language on how to explain my own journey through the subject of race in America and endeavor honestly to express my thoughts with love and empathy. Sometimes I only make matters worse and deepen the divide and that is absolutely contrary to my intent.

 

I believe what we do and what we say as well as how we say it makes a difference to what we birth into the world. If your anger results in violent impulses to quell your dissatisfaction, there will be violence. If you speak of war, you will have war. And to me war is the ultimate failure of mankind. There are no winners. One nation may emerge from conflict in better shape than the other, but all will feel the consequences of human carnage and destruction. All of it is always completely avoidable but for the greed and hubris of men.

 


 

The other day I finished reading “White Fragility” by Robin Diangelo. The language I struggled with yesterday, perhaps I struggle with less today. To articulate my thoughts and frustrations is to be uncomfortable. And discomfort is what it causes because that is the job of an anti-racist. To make people uncomfortable with the status quo. To incite change. Change for the better. These concepts are disturbing. They rattle the lion’s cage. However, there is great benefit too. There is a sense of being not so alone.That we can create a brighter, more inclusive future for everyone.

 

During yoga meditation, I imagined how I might protest. I would carry the biggest mirror I could so that the riot police could see themselves. I’m not sure what effect that would have on them. I’m sure they would see it as a threat. And, of course, this is just a fantasy because rubber bullets and tear gas canisters can easily break mirrors. I understand that those in favor of the status quo have no interest in self reflection. But to me, when you hold up the “Race Card” in this country, every single one has a different picture on it. And that picture is your own.

 

Also in yoga with Adriene, she tells us our breath, is our spirit. What a timely metaphor for these challenging times. Our great enemy COVID-19 is spread by breathing the air. The virus we battle today is an air borne contagion not unlike vitriol we give breath to in the way of spreading hate either with written  or spoken words.

I will not waste my breath on hate.

 

Today, with honor and reverence, I remember 9/11/2001 and those who perished. I remember those who continued on to rebuild. I fear today that it’s not that people have forgotten, but that they never knew in the first place, just why it is we stand and fight.

 

 I stand for the possibility of Love.


 

 Peace, Dad, David, passed September 8, 2008.

No comments: