Thursday, September 10, 2020

A Return to Baltimore for a Sad Farewell

 Yesterday was an epic journey. We gathered once more in Baltimore to attend the funeral of my God Mother, Aunt Gin who had passed in her sleep at 93 years of age. I drove from North Carolina to Baltimore and back. A ten and half hour round trip to spend an hour and a half with family. It was well worth it and I am so glad I did.


My cousin Sandy spoke eloquently and emotionally about her parents, now both together, of their lives and upbringing. Of their values and faith which has been handed down. My cousin Guy thanked the parish of St. Michael the Archangel in Baltimore for the beautiful, considerate and safe mass. Though no amount of social distancing could keep me from touching and hugging my sisters and my mourning cousins, masked though I was. 


In this time where we are so dispersed and encouraged to distance ourselves from family and friends, the almost frantic need to reach out and touch them becomes more palpable as this thing drags on. I wonder if and when we will all get together again. In faith there lies the answer. We will, we will be together again. Sooner than later I hope.

No comments: