Saturday, May 30, 2020

Not Satisfied!

Not satisfied with my last post. I want to convey something difficult to relate.

When I was a kid, the mean older boys played a game with us. We were to run while they threw darts at our bodies. The kind of darts meant to be thrown at a board. Maybe they did not intend to actually strike us, but I was struck, as I ran, in the back of my left calf. That metal point did not penetrate too deeply into my skin. The dart did fall out, but not before leaving an indelible blue/black scar I carry to this day. In times of great stress I pick at that old wound. Today I made it bleed.

This memory has sparked a meditation on cruelty. The ignorance and short shortsightedness inherent in harm. The police officer, whose life is as ruined as the family of the victim, believed he was doing his job. This was not like a gun going off. Not instant. But a sickening horror which will linger.  Why does this continue to happen?

Is there one definitive response?

I think my hero Bob Dylan may have done us a disservice when he sang...


"...the answer is blowin' in the wind."

We must find an answer. Say no to hate. Stop the war. War is over. If you want it. 

No comments: