Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Engage Your Core!

We have been doing Yoga With Adriene on YouTube since January. One of her catch phrases is "Engage your core!" As I go out into the yard and move my body, I find myself engaging my core.

She also has a phrase which reminds: "How you move your body matters." These two mantras follow me around all day and keep me from getting into trouble physically. This morning during my mediation, I thought of how I can also bring my mind and spirit into line with these two sayings.

Engage my core. My core beliefs of faith, hope, and kindness. Out in the world, how I move my body matters in how I can wear my mask, and keep social distance, while not judging others who don't do the same thing.

It simply has occurred to me that "Freedom" means different things to different people. Folks are free to scoff, to mock, to debase and to basically hate whatever they want. The difference between truth and lies is meaningless. And though it hurts to witness this, it is their right to do so. I don't have to agree, or maybe it matters not what I do.

This time of pandemic is an introvert's nightmare. But the weather has been amazing here. Warm days and cool nights, things growing, bugs still sleeping. All this seems to be an affirmation: Engage Your Core. Remember your values and let not the seeming willful ignorance of others enrage or inflame an already fraught situation. Don't let the political divisions of this once great nation tarnish your own love for family and country.

I say it is a "once great nation" because in my 62 years I have never seen such bitterness between parties. It's like watching your parents fight and head for divorce while you're powerless to stop them. And only you can see what they cannot. James Dean said it best in the film "Rebel Without a Cause."

"You're tearing me apart!"

For me, I would rather be "too sensitive," then the alternative. My cause for rebellion is at my core. Do not conform to hate. Though I may die tomorrow, I keep my focus on that center of my spiritual and intellectual being.

Namaste everyone.

No comments: