Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mrs Warren's Profession

Anytime you get the chance to see a George Bernard Shaw play, you take it. Add to the mix an American treasure of the stage, Cherry Jones, and you have the makings of a memorable theatrical experience. The production values are first rate. Even the audience was full of luminaries like Neil Simon himself and actor Alec Baldwin. Cherry Jones delivers and thank goodness she did. Any other actress may have wondered what she had gotten herself into. Costumes and sets were absolutely magnificent, all the male actors were worth their salt, and Cherry Jones was superb. I am leaving someone out because I don't think I can decide on weather I did not care for the actress or the character she portrayed. Reviewed elsewhere will be the actual trappings of the performance, I was really impressed with the social consciousness of the text. "Shaw was a feminist," I said to my wife at intermission. "Yes," she agreed. "Sort of." I think feminists today would be as appalled by a play about the glorification of the oldest profession as the public who first saw this play were back in the day. However, this was a clever way to point out how women were second class citizens in the 19/20th Century and how the battle for equality is far from over here in the 21st. Despite this plays glaring short coming, it is still a must see for the fans of Shaw.

No comments: