Thursday, October 11, 2018

Words Strung Together Inspired by the Old West




Words Strung Together Inspired by the Old West

No romance novels  
No Leaves of Grass
No paper pulp

The news comes word of mouth
Spoken like Navajo prayers and
Comanche war cries

Here there are only hand-hewn planks
making Prairie Schooner floors 
to separate pilgrims from
dusty trail and open sky

Necessities of survival
packed at the general store of my saddle bag
Local law enforcement strapped
to my hip

My sole conveyance through hostile territory has a rock
wedged between her shoe and fore-hoof
Lame they say, but soon, 
the farrier will have us on our way...

Peace in solitude.
I take deep breaths
far from a world of gentleness.

I was a young man when I set out West
Been riding that horizon ever since.




No comments: