Saturday, November 30, 2013

Giving Thanks at Work...

I wrote some of this back in May of 2011. We have added to the cast, and some members have retired or transferred to other units. Giving thanks for the new as well as the old...to Dan and Wilson, Juan and Franklin...and Jeff, Joe Cat...also the new girl who traded positions with Natalie. To Jorge and Zhana..as always...thanks.




This is about the retired Bobby Hodges...




Tall man with broad shoulders and a booming voice. To be in his presence is to be secure. His unflappable experience, his absolutely explosive temper in the face of injustice and stupidity alike, are forces of nature.

I watched him write his resignation letter this morning, coaching him through the technicalities of a Microsoft Word Document, but the sentiments expressed were simple, sublime and entirely is own.

He compliments me on my writing and defers to me as the better scribe, but I beg to differ.

"With great trepidation and anticipation..." He began without the aid of spell-check, a new and wondrous feature he never imagined existed.

I could not help but be moved. This is one of the people I have gravitated to in the squad. I have only been to the homes of a hand full of my coworkers. His was one. A more giving and generous person you will not find. I have been very fortunate to be welcomed into the night Squad by the likes of Damon Boccadoro, Lloyd Cropper, Lenny Asaro, Tom Zurica, Russell Smith, Tony Carbone, Frankie Cosimano, Willie Blake Scofield Smith, Gary Apostolo, Denny Randazzo, Tom Ward, Don Gittens, Vinnie Cerrcone, Dominick, Mario, Johnny, Davey and Robert "Bobby" Hodges.

I have been able to craft an honest living while trying to face my own fears, short comings and prejudices to help where we are able to make life better in New York.

It has been a privilege to work side by side with such people. It is a truly unique job.

As Bobby says "it is never boring".

Mark Ransom
Supervising Inspector
Emergency Response Team

Highlights from the past year include the award for excellence,


Sco-daddy's retirement...



Johnny and Davey get a big write up in the New York Times for their work on Sandy recovery in the Rockaways

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/nyregion/in-queens-deciding-fate-of-homes-damaged-by-hurricane-sandy.html?_r=0





All in all a banner year here.

Thanksgiving, much to be thankful for.

No comments: