Monday, September 13, 2010

A Time To Remember


Nine years ago the world changed forever. I was lucky in so many ways. The job I had recently started went beyond being a vocation, and became a way for me to help New York City heal. Not all of us are altruistic, but to a person, those of us who worked for the city during those difficult days of mourning will never forget the unity and compassion shown by our friends and neighbors. When the quiet hours of early morning came and I watched workers on the pile diligently toiling to restore our sense of order, honor, and security, I felt the mighty sacrifice of all humanity in the name of decency and peace. Those men and women trapped in the deadly collapse are who I dedicate my service to, and to those simple New Yorkers they left behind in my care, I pledge my very best. Civil Servants are tough threads holding the fabric of our society together. To the members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the NYPD and the FDNY, OEM, HPD and all the city agencies with which we interface daily: "I thank the Lord for the people I have found." It is a privilege to serve with you and I thank you all for the opportunity to aid and comfort the citizens of this City.

Two years ago, on September 11th, 2008, we bid a final farewell to my father, David Jude Ransom, forever in my heart, always on my mind, the light of my conscience.

No comments: