Wednesday, November 11, 2020

I Went Out Into America

 

I went out into America
And saw a man shooting
With a machine gun
I asked him why
He said he was angry
I said I understand.

Went out into America
Saw a mother and child hungry
I asked why
She hung her head
I said I understand

Went to dwell in America
Found people of faith impoverished
Asked them why
Said they might win a lottery - someday
I said I understand

Went to Washington DC
Saw politicians
Asked them why
Why were men angry?
Mothers hungry?
People poor with no hope?
 
They said don’t make waves.

I don’t understand

Earth is plentiful.
Oceans wide. 
What good has come from greed and pride ? 
Power to control who lives and who dies?
 Manipulation through transparent lies? 
When all could share the bounty of life 
 
 
I understand anger, shame and grief.
 I understand we need some relief.

What I don’t understand is someone’s belief
 that certain people are undeserving of love. 
 
Because they differ in appearance or view
What the world needs now
is something NEW.
 
 
 
 

No comments: